Household Hazardous Waste


Roanoke Valley Resource Authority (RVRA) now has a permanent household hazardous waste (HHW) facility at the Tinker Creek Transfer Station. This service is provided to residents of the County of Roanoke, the City of Roanoke, Town of Vinton and City of Salem only.

Pre-Register Here

Acceptable Materials

The following items are accepted during normal operating hours:

  • Aerosol paint cans
  • Latex paint - Maximum quantity of 5 gallons per visit
  • Lead acid automobile batteries
  • Used antifreeze - Maximum quantity of 5 gallons per visit
  • Used motor oil - Maximum quantity of 5 gallons per visit

Other, additional items are allowed at monthly collection events.

Unacceptable Materials

The following materials are not accepted at HHW events:

  • Asbestos material - Contact RVRA for disposal help
  • Biologically active or infectious material
  • Explosive material (including ammunition) - Contact the Police or Sheriff's Department for information
  • Gas cylinders (excluding 8-pound barbeque tanks) - Contact the local gas company for information
  • Radioactive material
  • Prescription drug medications
  • Smoke Detectors - See Instructions

Options for Disposal of Prescription Drugs

Permanent drug drop box locations in the Roanoke Valley:

  • Roanoke County Sheriff's Office:
    401 E Main Street
    Salem, VA 24153
  • Walgreen's Drug Store
    4841 Williamson Road NW
    Roanoke, VA 24012
  • Carilion Clinic
    2011 Crystal Spring Avenue
    Roanoke, VA 24014


Home disposal, when completed correctly per the instructions is another option to dispose of prescription drugs:

  • Remove medications from their original containers. If the medication is solid, crush it or add water to dissolve it and then mix the medication with an undesirable substance, such as kitty litter or coffee grounds.
  • Place the mixture in a container with a lid or in a sealable baggie to prevent the medication from leaking, and throw it into the trash.
  • Do not dispose of medications in the toilet or sink, unless specifically instructed to on the label.

Sharp Disposal

Options for Disposal of Sharp materials such as needles, syringes, lancets, and other sharp objects can be disposed of by the following:

  • Disposal: Dispose of the sealed, full container with your household trash. Do not place the container in the recycling bin.
  • Label/Warning: Place a large label with a warning on the container. CAUTION! SYRINGES - NEEDLES. DO NOT RECYCLE!
  • Rigid Container: Use a container with a screw-on cap such as an empty opaque laundry detergent bottle or bleach bottle. The bottles must be able to be marked with a warning label using a felt-tipped marking pen.
  • Seal: After the container is full, seal the bottle with the original cap and wrap tape over the cap.

Commercial Materials

No commercial materials are allowed. For information about services for commercial haulers, see the Commercial Services page.